Through my experiences as a Coach, Trainer and Facilitator I have become a strong believer in the power of self-direction. As a rule of thumb people will only make changes if they see the value in these changes and also have some ownership over this change. It’s very rare for people to be motivated about being ‘done to’.
With this philosophy in mind I have recently become increasingly fascinated by the theme of men’s health, including mental health as well as their personal and professional development.
Some of the statistics are startling and they begin to emerge from a very early age:
- Girls outperform boys in all aspects of education from Primary School through to University
- 80% of pupils excluded for behaviour issues are boys
- Teenage boys are more than twice as likely to kill themselves as girls
In later life
- 95% of all prisoners are male
- Men are three times more likely than women to become dependent on drink or drugs
- 4 in 5 suicides are male
By recognising and addressing these issues we can start to make a positive difference to this worrying picture that will ultimately benefit everyone regardless of Gender.
Look out for updates in 2019